It's always cool to see a pressure washer at work, there's something about watching it spray away all that dirt that's so cleansing.
However fun it may be, sometimes pressure washers can get a little out of hand and cause more damage than good.
Keeping reading to learn how to clean soffits the right way, without ruining them.
What Is A Soffit
Before we get into how to clean a soffit, it's important to understand what a soffit is. These can be found on many homes and are the underside of an architectural feature, such as a beam or arch, even a ceiling or vault. Soffits add value to a home and help them look nice, but it's important to be sure they get cleaned as well.
Say Yes To Pressure Washing Soffits
It is safe to clean your soffit with a pressure washer! However, just because it's safe to do so, doesn't mean it can't be done incorrectly. Be sure to keep these tips in mind when you're using a pressure washer to clean soffits, especially if it's your first time:
- Mind the water pressure. If you put it on a setting that's too high and start blasting away you can damage your attic. If water pushes too hard you may end up putting it into your attic, wreaking havoc on the wood.
- Be careful with a ladder. If you've never used a pressure washer while on top of a ladder, brace yourself for something new. Be sure to follow all safety instructions and be prepared for a little push back when you start the washer. There are over 500,000 cases of people falling off their ladder per year, so stay safe and use caution.
- Stay off of slippery surfaces. Of course with a pressure washer, there's going to be a lot of water around. Be mindful of where the water drains so you don't accidentally slip.
- Watch for falling debris. When your power washing the top of your house there might be stuff stuck up there that you need to be mindful of. Don't let people walk around your house while you're doing this to avoid anyone getting hit.
How To Clean Soffits
Follow these steps for pressure washing soffits:
- Thoroughly wet soffits and any of the surrounding foliage. Think of this as a rinse before washing, you want to be sure the soap is going to actually clean.
- Apply a soffit cleaner or detergent in order to not just rinse but clean your soffit.
- Turn the pressure washer on and start spraying dirt and detergent away. Again, be mindful of the amount of pressure you use so as to not ruin your attic.
Get Clean Today
Now that you know how to clean soffits the right way, be sure to check out how to confidently clean your gutters as well. To get more tips like this, be sure to follow our blog, we regularly post tips for cleaning and maintenance for around your home.