Not surprisingly, the global market for home siding is enormous. In 2018, reports showed the industry as being worth an astounding $82.7 billion. By 2024, that number is expected to rise even more, totaling $104.7 billion—a four percent increase.
The reason behind these massive numbers lends itself to how essential having good siding is. Siding protects the interior of the home from outside elements like weather, strengthening its foundation. It can even insulate the house in the wintertime, keeping those inside warmer (and lowering that energy bill).
So, whether you're installing home siding on the house you're building, want to replace your home's current siding, or are just curious about siding in general—keep reading! We explain what you need to know.
How Many Types of Home Siding Are There?
There are more than five types of home siding in existence, giving you plenty of options. You can choose based on preference, aesthetics, durability, budget, and more. Some of the most popular types of siding include:
- Fiber cement
Which will you choose? That all depends on the factors listed above.
Vinyl is becoming increasingly more popular due to its affordability and low-maintenance requirements. It can be arranged horizontally or vertically, and also comes in a wide array of colors. It also comes in multiple textures.
It's up to homeowners to decide which type of siding they prefer and can afford.
How Much Does Siding Cost on Average?
The diversity in home siding options means you can genuinely budget for this type of home improvement project.
Here are some average breakdowns of costs per various siding:
- Vinyl: Ranges from $3-$8 per square foot, making it low to moderate in cost
- Wood: About $3-$14 per square foot, depending on the type of wood chosen, as well as the exterior finish
- Fiber cement: About $10 per square foot, making it a bit higher in price. This cost is mostly in part to fiber cement's fantastic durability and damage resistance
- Aluminum and steel: Metal siding is an excellent middle-of-the-road price, with aluminum ranging from $3-$6 per square foot, and steel ranging from $4-$8
Each type has different qualities that make the prices go up or down.
For example, metal can change based on current market conditions or new tariffs. Wood changes based on the type of wood you prefer.
What Are the Benefits of High-Quality Siding?
Home siding has several clear benefits, some of which we've touched on. They include, but are not limited to:
- Siding protects your home from outside elements, such as rainwater or snow
- The added insulation helps lower energy costs
- It contributes to higher resale value, should you choose to sell your home
- Home siding improves the curb appeal of your house
So, if possible, don't skimp on quality. Choose a low-maintenance siding within your price range and make the care and keeping of it a priority. Your home needs the protection!
Time to Hire Home Siding Installers
In addition to the points listed above, there's one more thing every homeowner needs to know about home siding—installing it isn't exactly easy.
If possible, and if you have the budget, we recommend reaching out to professionals to ensure everything is properly established. Since siding protects your home, it's worth paying a little more to have it installed by experts.
If you need any more information about siding, choosing gutters, replacing your downspouts, and other insight about your home's exterior, keep scrolling our blog!